This blog post is about privacy in social media, digital
identity and General Data Protection Regulation. First, I got acquainted with
different blog post about privacy and confidentiality issues in social media. I
wanted to concentrate on sites in Finland and I found a few good ones where to
give comment. One of the blog posts was about social media and how it is seen
different ways in different cultures. The examples were interesting. For example,
in Chinese language there is no word for privacy. The closest term is probably
yinsi, which means hiding a secret. We Finnish people have quite broad privacy
area, but of course social media has change that a lot. The other interesting
blog post was an overview social media usage in Finland and it includes research
results. It tells for example that over 2,8 million people use Whatsapp and
same amount Youtube. Also, many other social medias are popular. Quite many
were still worried that information they give in social media might be used in
a harmful way. The blog post also includes information about social media usage
in companies and GDPR.
There are many privacy aspects which should be taking into
consideration when using social media tools. Employees should realise that even
though they can be private persons in social media, they also at the same time
represent the company. It is not a good idea to talk bad about your employer or
competitors. Some people use social media mainly in private life relationships,
while others also build professional credibility and cooperate with colleagues.
I personally only share my private life things in social media (except LinkedIn)
and my career related things leaves outside. Maybe that is out fashioned, but I
don´t want to mix those two. Websites
and apps generally provide privacy information in their privacy policy.
Password are also one important privacy matter. Try to use strong password that
are rather long than short. It is not good idea to use same password in
different sites. Strong password helps people to protect themselves against
hackers and identity theft.
There also many benefits of openness and transparency in
social media. That hopefully decreases prank messages when it is easier to
identify people. Nowadays organizations want to be open and transparent and
want to communicate with customers that way. Often that increases companies to
be more innovative. Customers can communicate with company, give comment,
feedback and development ideas. Before companies often hide innovations and new
inventions, because they didn´t want competitors to know. Now they want to take
consumers along to develop the inventions at the very first beginning. Companies also can identify their consumers
better when they get information from social media. Sometimes there are also
benefits in sharing personal information online. That can give more “human” picture
of the company. People can see the humans behind the company and understand
that also they sometimes make mistakes. There is serious damage that can occur
if privacy isn´t taking care of. There can be hackers and identity thefts. Even
though you are not so interested your own privacy, it is important to remember
that for certain people, privacy means everything. Those people are for example
victims of domestic violence, political activists, human rights activists and
police officers. We can accidentally at the same time also reveal them.
Digital identity
A person´s digital identity is any information available
online that can bind a persona to physical person. Online footprint includes behaviours,
social profiles, device information, location and search history. It is
important that companies know exactly what it is and know how to handle the
data they have. To see what information I find about myself, I made a Google search.
I was quite happy that there were not much information and all things I found
were relevant. The first result was my LinkedIn profile. Then there was
information related my previous school; my Thesis and one YouTube video about
my Thesis. That was all that I quickly found. Right now, I feel that I have
quite good control what information is about me in online. Of course, I can´t control
everything, for example someone can share a picture of me without asking me. Nowadays
the presumption is that you don´t exist if you are not in social media. Especially
if you are for example politician or CEO. Then you should be active in
different social media platforms. I personally also think that in this modern
world there should be information online and it would be good that the person is
quite active in social media.
I know that social medias
that I use know lot of facts about me, sometimes it worries me, sometimes I am
relaxed with that fact. I´m aware also that I can delete the information there,
but it will never really disappear, because someone has probably already
downloaded or copied the material. That
is why it is important to think couple of times before downloading information
or pictures. Once you put it online, it will be there forever. It is interesting
to see how digital identity will even more develop in the future. Now we still
need quite often our ID cards to prove our identity and we also need to be
present. Even though, digital identity has developed lot of over past years, I
think it will be developing even more in the future. It is interesting to see if
everything is in digital form soon and there is no need for physical form of ID
or personal contact.
General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR)
GDPR is a regulation in EU law on data protection and
privacy for all individual citizens in the European Union and the European Economic
Area. It is the most important change in data privacy regulation in 20 years.
There are many changes that happened after GDPR. It increased territorial scope,
because it also applies to organizations located outside EU if they offer goods
or services to EU. There are also penalties for companies that doesn´t follow
GDPR rules. Also, the conditions for consent have been strengthened. Breach
notifications are mandatory in all member states. In most social media platforms
(like Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp) global privacy settings are GDPR compliant.
I search for Internet different ideas and opinions what you
should share and what not to share in social media. You should share for
example webinars, podcasts, blogs posts, press releases about your brand, news
items about your company and other work and career related articles. Assume
that nothing you share online is private. Remember also that the information
will be there even after 20 years, so consider before sharing. Never share confidential
information about your identity, financial information. Don´t tell your home address
or share pictures about your valuable belongings and tell when you are taking
next holiday. Otherwise you might end up being a victim of a burglary. Don´
tell too much about your family or other relatives. Check your social media
profiles privacy settings regularly. Also think about your friends, don´t share
pictures of them without asking or share sensitive information about them.
Copywrite is quite tricky thing when related to social
media. In general, you are the only person who can authorize that content. However,
when the content is posted in third-party platform like Facebook, the platform
might take the rights to your copy. Those platforms can have then right to copy,
modify or distribute the content. Still social media doesn´t own the work, the
copywrite is retained the owner. Also, it doesn´t mean that everyone else using
social media have right to share your posts or pictures.
Sources:
https://harto.wordpress.com/2019/04/17/sosiaalisen-median-katsaus-04-2019-somekatsaus-somefi/?unapproved=12652&moderation-hash=45f27e83cbabcbc48e795376aa54672a#comment-12652
https://antroblogi.fi/2018/04/julkinen-yksityinen-sosiaalinen-media/?unapproved=6477&moderation-hash=aa98c6f467a9e0ee64cc5a704b7b9aa6#comment-6477
https://allpryme.com/employee-privacy-laws/employee-privacy-laws/
https://www.privacyrights.org/consumer-guides/online-privacy-using-internet-safely
https://viestijat.fi/voiko-avoimuudella-lisata-organisaation-innovatiivisuutta/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/11/15/demystifying-digital-identity-what-it-is-what-it-isnt-and-what-it-can-be/#236a182b2af1
https://eugdpr.org/the-regulation/
https://www.jeffbullas.com/20-things-you-should-share-on-social-media/
https://blog.trendmicro.com/top-five-things-to-not-share-online/
https://securitywing.com/top-10-things-not-post-share-online-via-social-media/
https://www.urbo.com/content/things-you-should-never-ever-share-on-social-media/
https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/10-legal-questions-online-content-answered/
http://www.legaltoday.com/gestion-del-despacho/nuevas-tecnologias/articulos/social-media-and-copyright-who-owns-the-content#
Comments
Post a Comment