Skip to main content

Social media tools, services and online communities


First, I must confess that I am no social media lizard. I use and follow social media every day, but I am active only in a few medias. The first social media that I started to actively use was Facebook. When I joined there, it was very popular and most of my friends shared updates and pictures there often. Nowadays it is not so popular among my friends and I also share very rarely information there. I am a member in many Facebook groups and that is the main reason why I still use Facebook. The most important social media tool for me is Instagram. I like to share pictures and stories there and also follow many other people. I like pictures and it is also interesting to see real-time videos. Instagram is owned by Facebook. Instagram has more than one billion monthly actives and over 500 million daily stories actives. Users can upload pictures and videos there and edit them with different filters and add hashtags and other information. Users can like photos and comment them. There is also a possibility to send messages to other users. (Source Instagram)

When I searched information about social media, I noticed that there are many social media tools and services that I am not familiar with. I use YouTube lot, but I haven´t heard about Teacher Tube. Teacher Tube is based on Youtube and the main idea is the same; video sharing. The difference is that it is designed for education industry, especially for teachers. They can share their videos, audios, documents, photos and blogs. Also, students can share and watch the videos. (Source: Teacher Tube) I got acquainted with that service and in my opinion, it was quite interesting. Nowadays learning through social media in also appreciated in Finland, so I could imagine this could be one way. I don´t know if this channel in used in Finland, but I believe that probably not so much. I didn´t find any Finnish videos.

Instagram is very popular marketing channel and it is very important for companies to be part of that. Companies can for example show their products and services there and arrange competitions. A very good idea is also share stories. Instagram arranges different kind of trainings which can be useful for companies. Instagram also offers other services (against fee). Those are for example stories ads and collection ads. It is also possible to promote pictures you have shared in Instagram. With the help of Instagram people can also reach their target customers. I have also noticed that many companies use bloggers and other social media influencers. Many consumers rely on others opinion and especially if that is a famous blogger or influencer. I have heard many stories that products they have told about have ran out almost immediately.

 I get acquainted with different Instagram success stories and there were many of them. It seems that many companies can market only via Social media services and tools. One example was from Natasha St Michael who got over 13 000 new followers in just for months. She is an entrepreneur who has created Instagram account @theclearskinnessentials. She went to an Instagram course that helped her a lot, she for example learned lot about target marketing. She got a lot of new followers and that also affected positively her website traffic and email subscribers. She also got some very valuable professional connections with the help of Instagram. (Source: Alex Tooby) Another example comes from fitness company Orange Theory which is currently one of the top growing franchises in the world. In their Instagram they asked their members to share their success workout stories and pictures in their personal Instagram under certain hashtag. That way they used their existing customers to promote their products and services. That is very efficient way to market. (Source: eCliencher). One interesting and great success story is from Watch Anish. He has spent no money on traditional advertising and nowadays he has over 1,7 million followers in Instagram. He has been very active on Instagram, comment and liked many pictures. He has also paid lot attention in building a good Instagram feed with stunning pictures. (Source: Forbes). All these success stories have similarities and they all benefit the one that created that Instagram account but also many other companies they do business with. These examples also show that there are many ways to be successful in Instagram and many ways to market.

I also found information about social media using on the field of my work. Currently, I am working in a company that makes packaging material. In that field I got acquainted to Snellman´s Instagram account. That company is established in Pietarsaari, Finland. Their Instagram account is very “cozy” and they share real pictures and don´t use filters. You can still realise that they are not aiming to international markets only, because their Instagram account is only in Finnish and Swedish. Stora Enso is in Instagram with the account @Stora Enso World. The account is managed by different worker in every week That way the follower gets acquainted with different work tasks and positions. (Source: Instagram). That is quite nice idea and adds personality. The account is kept in English, which is a good thing. I searched on purpose Finnish companies accounts, because sometimes it feels that some Finnish companies are behind in social media using. These both companies have nice accounts, but pull factor is still missing. Nowadays you drown easily to crowd in social media if you don´t find the way how to stand out. Sadly, only the good product it is not enough, there need to be much more.

References:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The first one

Hi and welcome to my blog! This blog is established for my Master´s course in Oulu University of Applied Sciences. The course topic is Social Medias as a tool in work communities. In this blog I am going to tell about different social media tools and services. Welcome to follow!

Implementation plan

In this learning assignment I  made a plan  how to utilize social media tools in a fictional company. I have dreamed for a while about opening a gym in the neighborhood where I live so this plan is for that purpose.       Background     The aim of this plan is to make an implementation plan for a new gym and cafe in a town. The main purpose is to market the gym and get people know more about the company. The social media plan is going to be executed before the actual opening.      Target group   The target group for this plan are especially people living in that neighborhood or close by where the gym is going to be opened. There is no gym in that area. The target group consist of people who are interested in exercise  and also  stay at home mothers, because the gym also offers special activities daytime to them. The area is very popular among families.        S ocial...